(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat) 12 February 1995
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 12.02.95:
1. Within the framework of the Ministerial Committee on National Security, the Cabinet was briefed by security officials on ongoing security matters.
2. It was decided that the closure, at this stage, will continue.
3. The Prime Minister and the Cabinet expressed their deep appreciation to the Israel Police for their treatment of the abduction of members of the Gertler family.
4. The Cabinet received a detailed briefing, from Major-General (Res.) Rafael Vardi, involving the implementation of recommendations made by the Commission of Inquiry that investigated the massacre at the Tomb of the Patriarchs (the Shamgar commission).
The Prime Minister and the Cabinet expressed their sincere thanks to security personnel for their skilled and efficient deployment in securing the Tomb of the Patriarchs. Gratitude was also expressed to Major-General
(Res.) Rafael Vardi for monitoring the implementation of recommendations made by the Commission of Inquiry (the Shamgar commission), and for his assistance to the defense establishment on other important matters.
5. The Prime Minister briefed the Cabinet on his meeting with Palestinian Authority head Yasser Arafat, on 9.2.95.
6. In accordance with the request of the Prime Minister, discussion of the appeal submitted by Meretz Cabinet members concerning the decisions of the special ministerial committee on construction in Ma’aleh Adumim, Betar, Givat Ze’ev and the Jordan valley has been postponed until next Sunday.
7. The Cabinet approved the appointment of Dr. Meir Oren as Director- General of the Health Ministry.
8. The Cabinet approved the appointment of Shai Talmon as Chief Accountant of the Finance Ministry, and of Attorney Tamar Ben-David as Director of the Government Companies Authority.