(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 17.03.96:
1. The Cabinet, sitting as the Ministerial Committee on National Security Affairs, was briefed on security matters.
Following this, the Cabinet held a discussion.
The Prime Minister informed the Cabinet that, in light of the security situation, there can be no choice but to continue the closure, as well as the punishment and deterrent measures (such as destroying houses). At the same time, steps will be taken in cooperation with international elements in order to prevent any shortage from affecting residents of the territories, and to create jobs in Judea, Samaria and the Gaza Strip.
2. The Cabinet ratified international agreements with a number of countries.
3. The Cabinet approved the appointment of Shalom Ben Moshe as Director- General of the Road Safety Administration.
4. The Cabinet approved, in principle, the proposal of the Interior Minister concerning the organization of border inspections, with specific regard to making entry to, and exit, from Israel more efficient, and to improving the quality of the inspection and the service rendered.
5. The Cabinet decided to instruct the Directors-General Committee, headed by the Director-General of the Prime Minister’s Office, to examine the issue of employing workers at the archeological site in Beit She’an. Representatives of the Finance and Tourism Ministries will be members of the Committee.