COMMISSION TO REVIEW ISSUE OF ETHIOPIAN BLOOD DONATIONS APPOINTED
(Communicated by Prime Minister’s Media Advisor)
On Monday, February 13, 1996 the Prime Minister appointed the members of the commission members to review the issue of blood donations by the Ethiopian community.
The members of the commission are:
– Commission Chairman – Mr. Yitzhak Navon, former President and Minister of Education.
– Deputy Commission Chairman – Dr. Eliyahu Winograd, former President of the Tel Aviv District Court.
– Ms. Natmar Hillel – a social worker of Ethiopian extraction who works with youth immigration and absorption.
– Mr. Yehezkel Zakai – Secretary General of the Sephardic Federation and the Committee of the Sephardic Communities in Jerusalem; also served formerly as Member of Knesset, Director-General of the Agricultural Ministry, Director General of Mekorot and Secretary of the Moshav Movement.
– Mr. Adiso Masalah – Head of the Union of Organizations of Ethiopian Immigrants.
– Professor Lechaim Nagan – Vice President and Dean of Research and Development at Ben-Gurion University in the Negev, former head of the epidemiology unit at Soroka Hospital, Be’er Sheva and Deputy Chief Medical Officer of the IDF.
– Professor Eliezer Rachmilevitz – Director of the Hematology Unit head of Hadassah Hospital in Jerusaelem, and previously the first ombudsman of the Ministry of Health.
The Commission was appointed in accordance with Paragraph 28 (A) of the Commissions of Inquiry Law 1968, and addresses the need to investigate various aspects of the issue of blood donations by Ethiopian immigrants, including their social and public ramifications.