(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 14.6.98:
1. The Cabinet was briefed on security matters by the Defense Minister and the Chief-of-Staff.
2. The Cabinet appointed Moshe Vardi as Commissioner of Fire and Rescue, replacing Uri Manusi.
3. The Cabinet confirmed the appointment of Avi Drexler as Director of the Israel Lands Administration, replacing Bertie Brodo.
4. The Cabinet decided to permit the Sha’arei Mishpat law college to open and operate an institute of higher education.
5. The Cabinet decided to ratify an agreement with the United States, on mutual assistance in criminal matters; an agreement with Ukraine, on special security measures in the aviation sphere, and; a charter with Finland, on social security.
6. The Public Security Minister and the Police Inspector-General briefed the Cabinet on the issue of vehicle theft and on the Israel Police’s means of addressing this phenomenon.
During the discussion, it was noted that, for the first time since the Oslo Accord, the upward trend of vehicle theft has been halted, and even reversed.
The Prime Minister said that this government had declared "war" on vehicle theft, and he praised the Public Security Minister, the Police Inspector-General and the Israel Police for their accomplishments in this sphere.
The Cabinet made a series of decisions regarding the war on vehicle theft, and charged the Public Security Minister to head a ministerial committee designed to ensure their implementation.