Jerusalem, 2 May 1999
(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 2.5.99:
1. The Foreign Minister offered a personal statement regarding the investigation into his and Maj.-Gen. (res.) Avigdor Ben-Gal’s activities:
a) The Foreign Minister said that, last Thursday, 29.4.99, he was surprised to hear media accounts concerning the affair including leaks and commentary;
b) Immediately thereafter, the Foreign Minister announced that he wants the investigation to be concluded before the elections. He continues to insist upon this, and is demanding that the matter be examined and investigated as rapidly as possible. In his view, it would be most fair for the investigation to be completed before the elections;
c) The Foreign Minister views the aforementioned leaks as having done serious harm to the electoral process.
2. The Cabinet approved the recommendations of the Directors-General team, according to which student dormitories should be built. Private investors will be integrated into the project, and the Government will both accelerate the planning process and advance the required amendments and changes pertaining to Israel Lands Administration Council decisions and other issues with the objective of building the dormitories.
3. The Cabinet adopted the recommendations of the commission investigating the matter of an assistance program for students and increased social involvement. The committee was established in accordance with a 6.12.98 Cabinet decision. . 4. The Cabinet approved 19 Foreign Service appointments to head Israeli diplomatic missions abroad, including the appointment of Shaul Amor as Israeli ambassador to Brussels and as non-resident ambassador to Luxembourg.
5. The Cabinet in accordance with the Toll Roads (Carmel Tunnels) Law, and further to its decisions from 1996 and 1997 approved the amended tender documents and agreement for the Carmel Tunnels project.
6. The Cabinet decided that the Settlement Education Administration will maintain its current status as an independent entity.