(Communicated by the Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)
1) The Government of Israel announces an attack on a Syrian army target in Lebanon.
2) Israel has carried out in its entirety United Nations Security Council Resolution 425, and it is deployed along the border as determined by the UN. Israel, nevertheless, has been subjected to repeated terrorist attacks along its northern border. In the latest attack on Saturday an IDF soldier was killed. This is the eighth terrorist attack along the northern border since the withdrawal from Lebanon. In these incidents three IDF soldiers were killed and three others were kidnapped.
3) The Government of Israel has determined that the Hizbullah terrorist activities are carried out with the knowledge and under the auspices of Syria.
4) Until now Israel has demonstrated great restraint in the face of these attacks. However, despite the appeal to Syria to exert its influence on Lebanon, Syria – without whom this organization cannot operate from Lebanon and whose army is situated in Lebanon – has not lifted a finger.
5) Israel wishes to maintain neighborly relations with its neighbor – Lebanon. Israel calls upon the Government of Lebanon to deploy its army along the border, and calls upon Syria and Lebanon to respect and carry out UN Security Council Resolution 425.
||Incidents along the Israel-Lebanon border since Oct 2000 (IDF Spokesman, Apr 15, 2001)|
||Letter from Israel Ambassador Lancry to President of the UN Security Council – Nov 26, 2000|
||Israelis held captive by Hizbullah – October 2000|
||The Israeli Withdrawal from Southern Lebanon|