Security Forces Arrest Terrorist Cell
(Communicated by the Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)
The Israel Security Agency (ISA) – in cooperation with the Israel Police and IDF forces in Judea and Samaria – recently arrested six terrorists, several of them Fatah operatives, from the villages of Hableh and Haris in Samaria, who are suspected of membership in a terrorist cell which perpetrated serious attacks both inside the Green Line and in Samaria.
During the arrest of the cell’s members, one member was shot and killed by fire from Israeli forces, in an effort to detain him, as he was attempting to flee.
During their interrogation, they confessed to perpetrating the following attacks:
1. Bomb-attack in Hod Hasharon on Tuesday, April 30, 2001, at 21:15 – The bomb was placed outside a residential building. The explosion caused considerable damage but no casualties.
2. Two bomb-attacks in Kfar Saba on Saturday, April 14, 2001 – The two bombs were planted on Rehov Herzl, one of the busiest streets in the city, close to Kfar Saba’s central synagogue. The gang members intended to cause multiple casualties among worshippers upon their exit from the synagogue following Saturday evening prayers. One Israeli citizen was moderately-to-seriously wounded in the explosions; several citizens were lightly wounded.
3. Bomb-attack in Netanya on Sunday, April 29, 2001, at 09:00 – The bomb was planted near the Bank Hapoalim branch near the commercial center of Netanya’s Nordau neighborhood. Police forces discovered the bomb and detonated it in a controlled explosion using a special robot. The explosion caused severe property damage but no casualties.
4. Bomb-attack in Samarian community of Sha’arei Tikva on Sunday, April 29, 2001, at 05:00 – The bomb was planted between two houses. The explosion caused considerable property damage but no casualties.
5. Bomb attack in Kfar Saba’s Yosefthal neighborhood on April 4, 2001 – The gang members confessed to having planted a bomb in a large trash receptacle Kfar Saba’s eastern Yosefthal neighborhood. The attack was foiled.
In the course of the arrest and investigation of the cell members, it became apparent that additional attacks were in advanced planning stages, including:
1. A car-bomb attack inside the Green Line at the central bus station of one of the Sharon region cities, such as Netanya or Ra’anana.
2. A bomb-attack at the pub at Horeshim, just west of the community of Oranit, on an evening when the pub would be crowded with young people.
3. A suicide-attack by a member at the soldiers’ hitchhiking stop at Ra’anana junction.