(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 22 July 2007:
1. Pursuant to the 2001 Government Law and the proposal of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, the Cabinet appointed Oved Yehezkel as Cabinet Secretary in place of Yisrael Maimon.
2. The Cabinet discussed State Comptroller Micha Lindenstrauss’s recent report on the readiness of the home front for emergencies and its conduct during the Second Lebanon War and decided:
The Cabinet acknowledges the main actions that have been carried out regarding home front readiness in the past year.
The Chairman of Ministerial State Control Committee will – within 45 days – submit to the Committee proposals for a decision regarding actions that ministers or the government deem proper to implement, after considering the State Comptroller’s aforesaid report. These proposals will prepared in coordination with Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who bears overall responsibility for the home front in times of emergency, and with other relevant bodies. The Committee will monitor implementation of the decisions; the Chairman will submit quarterly reports to the government. Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai will attend the Committee’s meetings.
Prime Minister Olmert emphasized that one of the main issues related to home front defense is the reinforcement and protection of structures. The government’s position on this issue is that it is only the government that needs to decide on priorities regarding the reinforcement and protection of structures and thus it will act.
3. Israel Police Inspector-General Commissioner Dudi Cohen briefed ministers on Israel Police activities regarding trends in crime and road safety.
4. The Cabinet discussed adjustments to bread prices.
5. The Cabinet discussed the establishment of the Ministry of Pensioners’ Affairs and the appointment of Minister Rafi Eitan to be responsible for Jerusalem affairs.
6. The Cabinet established the Ministerial Committee on Rural and Agricultural Settlement to act in order to develop rural and agricultural settlement in general and to implement various goals in particular, including the strengthening and expansion of communities in the Galilee and the Negev.
The Jewish Agency Settlement Division will serve as an external body and will implement relevant government decisions. Agriculture and Rural Development Minister Shalom Simhon will be responsible for the Division and will coordinate its actions as per government and committee decisions.
7. The Cabinet discussed the planned expansion of the Strategic Affairs Ministry’s Nativ Liaison Office.
8. The Cabinet assigned Minister Ruhama Avraham and Vice Premier Haim Ramon to various ministerial committees.
9. The Cabinet amended the process for selecting the State Prosecutor.
10. The Cabinet approved the draft 2007 Tenders Law.
11. The Cabinet approved draft amendments regarding the establishment of a public database on drivers whose licenses have been revoked.
12. The Cabinet rejected an appeal against a decision by the Ministerial Committee on Legislation and Law Enforcement to approve draft amendments to the law governing sports betting.
13. The Cabinet approved draft legislation regarding salaries for members of the Council on Higher Education.
14. The Cabinet appointed a ministerial committee chaired by Tourism Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch to consider his proposal to cancel entry visas for Russian tourists.
15. The Cabinet established a ministerial committee to deal with the issue of the Mugrabi Gate.
16. The Cabinet authorized the Ministerial Committee on Legislation and Law Enforcement to approve draft legislation to cancel means testing for compensation for families of fallen soldiers.