(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 11 November 2007:
1. GOC Intelligence Maj.-Gen. Amos Yadlin briefed ministers on various intelligence matters.
2. Pursuant to the 1954 Bank of Israel Law, the Cabinet authorized Bank of Israel Governor Prof. Stanley Fischer to issue a directive to the effect that the NIS 0.05 coin will no longer be legal tender.
3. The Cabinet directed Industry, Trade and Labor Minister Eli Yishai and Finance Minister Ronnie Bar-On to establish a team to consider ways – including sources of financing – to assist industrialists who have been affected by the erosion in the exchange rate of the New Israeli Shekel against the US dollar.
4. In accordance with Minister Yishai’s recommendation, the Cabinet appointed attorney Tziona Koenig-Yair as National Equal Opportunities (Employment) Commissioner.
5. The Cabinet discussed the issue of fair representation of Arab, Druze and Circassian Israelis in the civil service and decided – inter alia – that at least 10% of civil servants would be Arab, Druze or Circassian by 2012.
6. The Cabinet discussed the use of non-polluting alternatives to fossil fuels in transportation.
7. The Cabinet discussed the situation of weaker social groups as a result of increases in the price of bread.