Trajtenberg Committee report implementation: One of the goals of all public regulatory bodies will be the responsibility for consumers’ welfare, including the cost of living and promoting competition.
(Communicated by the Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 25 December 2011:
1. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made the following remarks:
"Israel is a democratic, Western, liberal state. The public sphere is open and safe for everyone – men and women alike. There is no place for harassment or discrimination.
Last night, I spoke with Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch who told me about the actions that have already been taken. I also spoke with Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein. The Israel Police are taking, and will take, action to arrest and stop those who spit, harass or raise a hand. I also ask government ministries and enforcement agencies to work to remove signs that call for separation on sidewalks. This has no place in a free and democratic state. While we will use all legal means at our disposal, I would like to emphasize that this is not just a legal issue. It is also a social issue. It is also a question of public and social norms; therefore, I appeal to all public figures and spiritual leaders to act against this phenomenon. The public sphere in Israel will be open and safe for all."
2. National Security Council Chairman Yaakov Amidror briefed ministers on recent developments in the region and on the challenges facing the State of Israel in the diplomatic and security spheres as a result of these developments.
3. The Cabinet decided to update the state’s share in the security expenditures of Israeli commercial airlines.
4. The Cabinet continued its discussion of economic steps for socio-economic change, i.e. the proposals to implement the Trajtenberg Committee report – promoting competition, dealing with the cost of living and improving the public sector – and decided as follows:
* To determine, in law, that one of the goals of all public regulatory bodies, in addition to such other goals as have been determined by law, will be the responsibility for consumers’ welfare, including the cost of living and promoting competition.
* To establish a team to formulate an operative plan to improve staff work and the ability of Government ministries to implement policy.