(GOVERNMENT PRESS OFFICE)
Jerusalem, 5 January 1994
* ENVIRONMENT MINISTER SARID TO INAUGURATE NEW HOUSEHOLD WASTE RECYCLING PROJECT.
Environment Minister Yossi Sarid will tomorrow (Thursday), 6.1.94, at 14:30, inaugurate an experimental household waste recycling project for 10 Negev local authorities. The project, the first of its kind, is unique, in that the entire community is involved and will be responsible for collecting, separating and recycling household waste. Colored receptacles have been placed in the participating towns and communities for separate collection of trash, which is then sent to plants to use as raw material for manufacturing various products. Such plants include the Aviv factory in Ramat Hovav (plastic waste) and the Shaniv plant in Ofakim (paper waste). The ceremony will be held outside the Kiryat Malachi community center.
Environment Ministry – Sari Zimmerman (02) 701634
* RECYCLING PARK IN ARAD
The regional unit for environmental affairs has decided to establish a ‘recycling park’ which will demonstrate existing solutions in the field of recycling. Four main focuses of activity are planned:
1. Attraction and environmental sculpture site, containing attractions made of recycled or natural materials.
2. Pavillion showing demonstrations of recycling processes.
3. Organic garden, including an agriculture area and demonstrations of uses for solar energy and the reuse of water at the site.
4. Recycling workshop.
Arad Recycling Park – Ilana Segev 07-953224/952747
* DEAD SEA WORKS: FIRST IN WORLD TO RECEIVE QUALITY STANDARD IN POTASH FIELD.
The Dead Sea Works will soon be the first potash works in the world to receive certification from the British Standards Institute, ISO 9000. This is the most widely known European standard in the world, for quality management, quality of product and environmental care. Dead Sea Works managing director Uri Ben-Noon says that his company has been working on the project for over two years, as part of a general program at Israel Chemicals to receive the European Common Market’s quality standard seal. (‘Ma’ariv’, 14.12.93)
* INTERNATIONAL ECOLOGY CORPORATION TO SET UP SUBSIDIARY IN ISRAEL. Attwoods PLC will set up a subsidiary company in Israel, to be called Attwoods Israel. After examining the Israeli market, the company has decided to operate in Israel in the fields of waste removal, burial and recycling. Avi Weinerman will be managing director of the Israeli subsidiary. Attwoods PLC is the fourth largest corporation of its type in the world. It operates in 15 countries, with a turnover of $550 million and a profit of $53 million in 1993. (‘Ha’aretz’, 20.12.93)
* OIL REFINERIES LTD. INVESTS ENERGY IN ENVIRONMENT.
Oil Refineries Ltd. has undertaken to work for clean air, purified sewage, improved products from an environmental standpoint. Between 1984 and 1993, the company invested about $64 million in a sophisticated control system which enables a daily forecast of weather conditions, which could contain concentrations of contaminants which are higher than those permitted. New chimneys were built which disperse discharged materials at a great height. About $350 million will be invested in the company’s development plans.
Oil Refineries Ltd. – Yaakov Hadasi 04-788130