(Communicated by Cabinet Secretariat) Jerusalem, 5 July 1996
At a weekly Cabinet meeting today (Friday), 05.07.96:
1. The Cabinet received a briefing on ongoing security issues. The discussion was declared confidential, in accordance with Basic Law: The Government, section 44(a)(1).
2. The Cabinet noted that the Prime Minister had approved the appointment by Minister of Education, Culture and Sport of MK Moshe Peled as Deputy Minister of Education, Culture and Sports. Announcement of his appointment will be submitted to the Knesset.
3. The Cabinet approved the following appointments:
– Mr. Avigdor Lieberman, as Director-General of the Office of the Prime Minister.
– Ms. Nechama Ronen, as Director-General of the Ministry of the Environment.
– Mr. Ben-Zion Dal, as Director- General of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport.
– Mr. Daniel Karcheman, as Director-General of the Ministry of Agriculture and Urban Development.
– Mr. Meir Shlomo Greenberg, as Director-General of the Ministry of Housing and Construction.
– Ms. Nili Arad, as Director-General of the Ministry of Justice.
4. Mr. Moshe Leon was appointed by the Cabinet as Deputy Director-General of the Office of the Prime Minister.
5. The Cabinet noted the appointment, by the Prime Minister, in accordance with Basic Law: The Government, of the following ministerial committees and determined their responsibilities:
– Ministerial Committee for Environment and Hazardous Substances.
– Ministerial Committee for Publication Permits.
– Ministerial Committee for Science and Technology.
– Ministerial Committee for Foreign Service Appointments.
– Ministerial Committee for GSS Investigations.
– Ministerial Committee Responsible for the Issue of the Ethiopian-Copt Conflict.
– Ministerial Committee for Social and Welfare Matters.
– Ministerial Committee for Advancement of Development Areas.
– Ministerial Committee for The Authority for Developing Classified Archival Material.
– Ministerial Committee for Interior Matters and Services.
– Committee of Government Representatives to coordinate activities between the Cabinet and the Jewish Agency, and between the Cabinet and the World Zionist Organization.
6. In accordance with the recommendation of the Prime Minister, the Cabinet approved the authority of the Ministerial Committee on Security Matters and noted the inclusion by the Prime Minister of the following ministers to the official membership mandated by law:
– Minister Rafael Eitan
– Minister Zevulun Hammer
– Minister Moshe Katsav
Minister Binyamin Begin will participate in the meetings of the Committee an observer until the Basic Law: The Government, is amended.
7. The Cabinet decided to begin continuous discussions of the series of recommendations presented by the Minister of Finance and approved the recommendation of the Ministerial Committee for Legislation and Application of the Law to present to the Knesset the proposed statute, Basic Law: Freedom to Engage in Business (amended – protection of the laws).