(Communicated by Cabinet Secretariat)
The Ministerial Committee on National Security Affairs met this evening,
(Thursday), 26.09.96, and received briefings and assessments concerning the situation in the areas of Judea, Samaria, Gaza, and Jerusalem from the Defense Minister, IDF commanders, the Israel Police, and the heads of the GSS.
The committee held a discussion, and took the following decisions:
1. The government expresses its deep sorrow for the victims who died today, joins in the painful mourning of the families, and wishes a full recovery to those injured.
2. The shooting on the part of the Palestinian Police, and the incitement to violence, constitutes a severe violation of the Interim Agreements, and their continuation will place the continuation of the peace process at risk.
Article XV of the Interim Agreement, which concerns the "Prevention of Hostile Acts" determines that:
"Both sides shall take all measures necessary in order to prevent acts of terrorism, crime, and hostilities directed against each other, against individuals falling under the other’s authority and against their property, and shall take legal measures against offenders."
The government calls for the renewal of the political peace negotiations, in accordance with the framework agreed upon between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, without any prior conditions.
3. The government is firm in its determination to defend the citizens of Israel, the residents of Judea, Samaria, and Gaza, and the soldiers of the IDF, by all means necessary, and it instructed the IDF, the Israel Police, and the other security forces to take every step required to do so.
4. The government expresses its appreciation to the soldiers of the IDF, the Israel Police, and the other security authorities which stand in the war against violence and terrorism.
5. The Government of Israel demands that the Palestinian Authority restrain, and effect the cessation of, the violent activities and the creation of ferment from within its territory, against the citizens of Israel and the soldiers of the IDF.