(Communicated by Cabinet Secretariat)
At a special Cabinet meeting held on Wednesday, 15.01.97, the Cabinet decided as follows:
1. To approve the Protocol Concerning the Redeployment in Hebron as well as the Note for the Record and the Agreed Minute, which were initialed by representatives of Israel and the Palestinians on 6 Shevat 5757, January 14, 1997.
2. The Government will act to maintain all the conditions and requirements necessary for the existence, security and consolidation of the Jewish community in Hebron.
3. Details of the further stages of the redeployment in Judea and Samaria will be determined by the Government of Israel.
4. The Government will soon begin to discuss the principles of the permanent status arrangements, with the aim of concluding its deliberations prior to the implementation of the second stage of the further redeployment, at the very latest.
5. The Government reiterates that a fundamental condition for the continuation of the [peace] process with the Palestinians is the mutual fulfillment of the obligations of both sides, as itemized in the Note for the Record of 14.01.97.
The Cabinet decision was adopted by a vote of 11 to 7. Upon the adoption of the decision, Minister Benjamin Begin announced his resignation from the Government.