(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Monday), 20.4.98:
1. The Prime Minister reported to the Cabinet on the possibility of meetings between Israeli and Palestinian Authority representatives to discuss the issue of the Gaza airport and the Karni industrial park. Neither European mediation nor an international conference is in question, but rather the possibility of a meeting to be held in Europe.
The Prime Minister clarified that the contacts on the Palestinian issue are being held in accordance with earlier Cabinet decisions.
The Prime Minister added that the letter he received from King Hussein was substantive and friendly, with no mention of the statements which appeared in today’s press.
2. The Cabinet was briefed by the Public Security Minister and the Police Inspector-General on yesterday’s murder in Maon. A discussion of the matter followed.
3. The Cabinet was briefed by the Police Inspector-General on the deployment of the Israel Police over the Passover holiday.
4. The Cabinet approved the appointment of Naomi Liran as Director of the Authority for the Advancement of the Status of Women.
5. The Cabinet approved the appointment of Tzippi Samet as Commissioner of the Capital Market, Insurance and Savings Department.
6. The Cabinet approved the proposal of the Communications Minister to appoint Zvi Hauser as Chairman of the Council for Cable and Satellite Broadcasting.
7. The Cabinet approved the agreement on commercial and economic cooperation between Israel and the Republic of Moldova.