(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
The Cabinet, sitting as the Ministerial Committee on National Security, today (Sunday), 15.10.2000 noted Prime Minister and Defense Minister Ehud Barak’s statement that he is going to the emergency summit in Sharm E-Sheikh tomorrow (Monday), 16.10.2000.
The summit’s goals for Israel are as follows:
- The immediate and full cessation of violence.
- The establishment of mechanisms to prevent the recurrence of acts of violence.
At the summit, Israel will demand:
- The rearrest of Hamas and Islamic Jihad members;
- The taking of steps against shooting by the Tanzim and the Palestinian police in the future.
- A halt to incitement by the Palestinian media;
- The preservation of holy places – such as Joseph’s Tomb in Nablus and the Shalom al Yisrael synagogue in Jericho – according to the agreements.
All of the above demands stem from clear violations of agreements which the Palestinian Authority is party to.
Prime Minister and Defense Minister Barak ordered the IDF and the security forces to prepare for possible terrorist attacks following the Palestinian Authority’s loosening of the reins on Hamas. Israel would view the perpetrators, those who assist them and, above all, the Palestinian Authority, as bearing the responsibility for any such terrorist attack.
||Outbreak of Violence in Jerusalem and the Territories – Sept/Oct 2000|