Security Cabinet: Closure on Arafat’s Ramallah Headquarters will be Lifted
(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
The Ministerial Committee on National Security Affairs has decided the following today (Sunday), February 24, 2002:
1. The arrest of several of the murderers of Minister Rechavam Ze’evy is the direct result of the continuous pressure on the Palestinian Authority and Israel’s determined stand on this issue.
2. Israel continues to insist on its demand for the genuine arrest of everyone who was involved in Minister Ze’evy’s murder and the Karine-A affair, and will monitor its implementation.
3. At this stage, the tight closure on Arafat’s Ramallah headquarters will be lifted. His departure from Ramallah will require a decision by a forum, the composition of which will be decided upon by Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in consultation with Defense Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer.
4. Israel continues to demand the extradition of Minister Ze’evy’s assassins as per the diplomatic agreements, and the transfer requests that have been passed on to the Palestinian Authority.
5. The Israeli government calls on the international community to pressure the Palestinian Authority in order to impress upon it the severity of the current situation, its commitment to fight terror, arrest terrorists, and disband the terrorist organizations operating in its territory in order to restore calm and implement the Tenet and Mitchell plans.