April 3, 2003

Offer to Reopen Polytechnic University in Hebron
(Communicated by the IDF Spokesman)

As part of the IDF’s ongoing battle against terrorism and its infrastructure, IDF forces closed the Polytechnic University in Hebron on the night of January 14, 2003.

Recently, in an effort to maintain the daily routine of innocent Palestinians and out of an understanding of the importance of regularly functioning educational institutions, an offer was made to the university’s administration to reopen the school.

The re-opening was made conditional upon a halt in recruiting terrorists from the school’s ranks, ceasing anti-Israel incitement, supervision over the student union, the prohibition of illegal activities, the removal of posters encouraging hostile activity against Israel, removing students involved in perpetrating terror, and establishing a mechanism that will ensure these conditions are upheld.

Although the offer was presented to the university’s administration, they did not display an interest in cooperation nor in taking the necessary steps to distance terror from its doorsteps that would transform it into a proper academic institution.

Therefore, the closure order against the Polytechnic University will remain in effect as originally decided, for a period of six months beginning January 12, 2003.

Since the beginning of the current conflict, academic institutions in general and the Polytechnic in particular have stood at the forefront, providing cover for extremist activity by terrorist organizations.

The terrorist organizations based a significant amount of their operational infrastructure on students by using the means available to them at the academic institutions. The activities included disseminating inciteful material, and the recruiting and training of hundreds of operatives.

Among the terrorists who came from the Polytechnic University was the terrorist that infiltrated Adura in April 2002 in which four were killed and seven injured, the terrorist who infiltrated Otniel in December 2002 in which four were killed and ten injured, and the three terrorists who perpetrated the shooting attack on "Worshippers Lane" in Hebron in which 12 Israelis were killed and 16 injured.