(Communicated by the IDF Spokesman)
This evening the IDF targeted a terrorist base located near Beirut, which is used as a platform for the terrorist activity in Lebanon.
The strike follows rocket fire from Lebanon at an Israeli Naval vessel, patrolling in Israeli territorial water this morning.
The State of Israel is determined stop terror acts emanating from Lebanon and places the responsibility for these terror activities on the governments of Lebanon and Syria.
Background: Terrorist attacks from Lebanon against Israeli targets since the Israeli pullout in May 2000, and attacks within the last year
Since the IDF pullout from Southern Lebanon in May 2000, 6 Israeli civilians and 11 IDF soldiers were killed, in addition to 14 Israeli civilians and 53 soldiers that were injured. Since May 2000 the following attacks against Israeli targets have taken place:
- 105 anti aircraft attacks
- 42 anti tank missile attack
- 5 Katyusha rocket attacks
- 7 shooting attacks
- 10 explosive device attacks
- 14 infiltration attempts.
In the last year (since June 2003) an Israeli civilian and three IDF soldiers were killed in terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians and military targets along the Israeli-Lebanese border. In addition, six Israeli civilians were injured as a result of shell fire under the guise of anti-aircraft fire in the last year.
The following is a summary of the main incidents in the last year since June 2003:
- 8 Aug 2003 – An IDF soldier was lightly injured as a result of mortar shells and anti-tank missiles fired at IDF posts in the Mount Dov area, the Hermon and the northern Golan Heights. The IDF returned artillery and aircraft fire.
- 10 Aug 2003 – Haviv Dadon, 15, a resident of Shlomi, was killed, another Israeli civilian was moderately injured, and three other Israeli civilians were lightly injured as a result of anti-aircraft mortar shells fired towards the eastern sector. The IDF returned fire at the missile launcher.
- 6 Oct 2003 – An IDF soldier, Staff Sergeant David Solomonov, was killed when Hizbullah fired at an IDF force south of the Fatma Gate in the eastern sector. In addition the Hizbullah fired missiles and rockets at an IDF post in the Reches Ramim area.
- 19 Jan 2004 – An IDF soldier, Yan Rotzenski, was killed and another soldier was severely wounded as a result of an anti-tank missile which was fired at an IDF D9 while neutralizing explosive charges near Zari’t. Following the attack, the IDF struck 2 Hizbullah targets in Lebanon.
- 23 Mar 2004 – IDF forces thwarted an attempt to launch Katyusha rockets towards the city of Kiryat Shmona and the Galilee panhandle, an attempt by a cell of Ahmed Jibril’s terrorist organization.
- 7 May 2004 – An IDF soldier, Staff Sergeant Denis Laminov, was killed and two other IDF soldiers were severely wounded, as a result of anti- tank missiles and mortar- shell fire at the Mount Dov area, near the Gladiyola IDF outpost. The IDF returned fire at the sources of fire.
- 7 Jun 2004 – Rockets were fired from Lebanon at an Israeli Naval vessel, patrolling in Israeli territorial water this morning. No injuries or damage were reported.