(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 12 March 2006:
1. Pursuant to its authority under the Planning and Construction Law, the Cabinet approved plans for the Tzrifin North interchange on Road #44.
2. Pursuant to its authority under the Planning and Construction Law, the Cabinet approved plans for the Nehalim interchange on Road #471, between Road #40 and Highway #6.
3. The Cabinet discussed hiring and selection procedures for Airports Authority employees and – pursuant to its authority under Airports Authority Law – approved new procedures as of 8 February 2006.
4. The Cabinet discussed the provision of rental assistance to South Lebanese Army (SLA) veterans and decided – in continuation of its previous decisions – that the eligibility of SLA veterans for Construction and Housing Ministry rental assistance would be extended to 31 July 2007. This is in order to give the SLA veterans an additional period to get organized and find independent housing solutions.
5. In the context of advancing equality and the integration of Israeli Arabs in the civil service, the Cabinet – pursuant to its authority under the 1959 Civil Service Law (Appointments) – decided that the Civil Service Commission would between 2006-2008, to the extent possible, allocate 37.5 new positions per annum to government offices that employ qualified Israeli Arabs, including Druze and Circassians, as much as possible.
Moreover, 37.5 existing positions that become vacant will be similarly allocated to Israeli Arabs. For every position that becomes vacant and is filled by an Israeli Arab, an additional new position for an Israeli Arab will be allocated to the same office so that an additional 337 Israeli Arabs will join the civil service in 2006-2008.
The Finance Ministry Budget Division will allocate the budgets necessary for the foregoing.
The Cabinet also decided to direct the Civil Service Commission to establish a joint team along with the Justice Ministry and the Finance Ministry Budget Division in order to examine additional ways of advancing the fair representation of Israeli Arabs, including Druze and Circassians, in the civil service. The team will submit its recommendations within two months.
6. Pursuant to its authority under the 1959 Civil Service Law (Appointments), the Cabinet decided to designate approximately 10% of Justice Ministry experts hired per annum to qualified Israeli Arabs, including Druze and Circassians, those with at least one Ethiopian parent and those with severe disabilities. Forty-five Justice Ministry positions will be so allocated.
7. The Cabinet decided to establish a Corporations Authority within the Justice Ministry, to be chaired by the Registrar of Corporations.
8. The Cabinet approved an investment of not more than NIS 13,860,000 in the Geophysical Institute of Israel, Inc.
9. The Cabinet, pursuant to its authority under the 1975 Government Companies Law, decided to approve the 6 March 2006 decision of Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Board of Directors to increase the company’s share capital to NIS 25,900,000 by issuing 25,899,999,800 shares worth NIS 0.001 each.
10. The Cabinet discussed a report on the progress in the work being done to establish IDF training bases near Hanegev junction. Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert instructed the relevant bodies to prepare another update in approximately two months.