Kidnapped soldier Cpl. Gilad Shalit
Communicated by the Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)
The Political-Security Cabinet convened this afternoon (Sunday), 25 June 2006, and made the following decisions:
1. Israel views the terrorist incident that occurred today with utmost severity. The Palestinian Authority (PA) – the PA Chairman and the PA government – is responsible for the event with all this implies.
2. Israel will take all necessary actions in order to bring about the
release of abducted soldier Cpl. Gilad Shalit. This objective has top priority and, to this end, the Cabinet approves all the preparations that were presented to it by the security establishment.
3. The PA will bear full responsibility for any harm to Cpl. Shalit. No person or organization will have immunity at this time.
4. The Cabinet approves the security establishment’s recommendations to prepare and deploy the necessary forces in order to be ready for urgent military action as obligated by the PA’s actions and intentions.
5. Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz will decide to approve actions against targets among the terrorist organizations and the PA according to the recommendations of the security establishment.
6. Contacts will continue with the international community in order to maintain the international pressure on the PA leadership with the objective of bringing about Cpl. Shalit’s release.
7. Prime Minister Olmert’s Media Adviser Asaf Shariv will coordinate the media and the information campaign regarding both Cpl. Shalit’s abduction and actions designed to bring about his release (the Prime Minister’s Office, the Foreign Ministry, the Defense Ministry, the IDF and the security services).