(Communicated by the IDF Spokesman)
Today, over thirty rockets bombarded Israeli communities in the western Negev, wounding four Israeli civilians and causing damage to civilian infrastructure.
Seven Qassams hit the Israeli city of Sderot, in the western Negev. Several rockets landed near schools in the city, causing damage to the structures. In one of these attacks an Israeli man was severely wounded.
In separate attacks, another Israeli man was wounded by shrapnel and two women were lightly injured after a rocket landed a few meters from them. A home in Kibutz Nahal Oz suffered a direct hit by a Qassam; luckily the house was empty at the time of the attack.
In response the IDF carried out two aerial attacks, thwarting attempts to launch rockets at Israel. The first attack was carried out in the morning in the area of Beit Lahia. The IDF targeted a Hamas terror cell, which was minutes from launching rockets at Israel. Another aerial attack was carried out around noon against a vehicle carrying terrorists and rockets in Gaza City. They were en rout to launch the rockets.
The IDF would like to clarify that following the incident in the Gaza northern shore on Friday the IDF has suspended the use of artillery fire. Since the stop of artillery fire Friday afternoon over 70 rockets were launched at Israel.
The Palestinian Authority is fully responsible for any attacks emanating from the Gaza Strip. Unfortunately, it continues to take no action in order to prevent the daily attacks against Israeli civilians.
The IDF will continue to act with determination and to employ all means at its disposal to combat terrorists and their infrastructure, in order to defend the citizens of Israel.
* * *
Approximately 70 rockets were launched at Israel over the past weekend (from Friday June 9 through Sunday June 11), wounding four Israeli civilians and damaging civilian infrastructure.
Following is a summary of the main rocket-related attacks.
Friday June 9 – nine rockets were launched at Israel
Two Qassam rockets landed in the city of Sderot.
Saturday June 10 – 34 rockets were launched
- Palestinians fired an anti-tank missile towards forces patrolling near the security fence between Israel and the Gaza Strip north of Kerem Shalom. The missile did not explode and was detonated in a controlled manner by IDF sappers.
- Palestinians fired a shower of 10 mortar shells at Israel, nine of which landed in Israel.
Sunday June 11 – 26 rockets were launched
- An Israeli man was severely wounded by a Qassam rocket which landed near a school in the city of Sderot. Qassams have in the past landed several times near educational centers in the city, including an attack on May 21, when a rocket hit a classroom in the city. Luckily, the class was empty at the time.
- An Israeli man was wounded on a road near Sderot by shrapnel after a Qassam exploded near him.
- Two women were lightly injured after a Qassam rocket landed a few meters from them in the city of Sderot.
- Palestinians launched two Qassam rockets at Israel, one of which landed in Sderot’s industrial zone.
- A house in Kibbutz Nahal Oz suffered a direct hit by a Qassam rocket. Luckily, the residents of the house were not at home at the time of the attack.
- A chicken coop in the Nahal Oz Kibutz was damaged after it suffered a hit.