Israel to Senator Mitchell: Israel wants to begin the peace process immediately.
(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday), 25 April 2010:
1. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu discussed his meeting this morning with Senator Mitchell and noted that, "Israel wants to begin the peace process immediately. The US wants to start the peace process immediately. I can only hope that the Palestinians will want to start the peace process immediately. In the coming days, we will know if the peace process gets underway. I hope that it will. The talks with the US and its representative were very positive."
2. On behalf of both himself and the Government, Prime Minister Netanyahu greeted, "our Druze brothers on their holiday, the holiday of Nebi Shueib, the prophet Jethro. The Druze community is a splendid example of the integration of a minority in a democratic state, in every field – government, the military, industry and culture. I think that there is much that needs to be done to strengthen and advance the community and the Government will do it."
3. Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai briefed ministers on an upcoming national emergency drill, to be held from 23-27.5.10, inclusive. The goal of the drill is to improve emergency preparedness and deployment on a national and systemic level and will include 31 local authorities.
4. Pursuant to Article 1 of the 1965 Israel Broadcast Authority Law, the Cabinet authorized Prime Minister Netanyahu to be responsible for implementing law and abrogated Article 4 of its 5 April 2009 decision.
5. Pursuant to Article 31b of Basic Law: The Government, the Cabinet decided to transfer to Minister Ze’ev Binyamin Begin the authority previously vested in Justice Minister Yaakov Neeman, in accordance with Article 12a of the 1971 Religious Services Law, regarding complaints against municipal rabbis.
6. Pursuant to Article 31b of Basic Law: The Government, the Cabinet decided to transfer to Minister Ze’ev Binyamin Begin the authority previously vested in Justice Minister Yaakov Neeman, in accordance with Article 33a of the 1975 Government Companies Law.
7. The Cabinet approved the draft version of the 2010 Supervision over Financial Services (Insurance) Law, and authorized the Ministerial Committee on Legislation to approve the final version of the law and submit it for Knesset approval forthwith.
8. The Cabinet discussed and approved a plan to deal with the collapse of a section of the Mediterranean Sea coast escarpment.
9. Immigrant Absorption Minister Sofa Landver briefed the Cabinet on her ministry’s activities in 2009 and on its working plan for 2010.