Date: 12/01/2009, 5:25 PM     Author: IDF (Zahal) Website

UPDATED: Jan.12, 23:35

Since Monday morning (Jan.12), IDF (Zahal) Infantry Corps, Armored Corps, Engineering Corps, Artillery Corps and Intelligence Corps forces continued to operate against the Hamas terrorist infrastructure throughout the Gaza Strip.

Ground Forces were involved in a number of incidents in which several armed gunmen were hit.

A squad of terror operatives opened fire at ground forces from a mosque. The forces directed aerial forces that attacked the squad, and then the forces proceeded to search the mosque, uncovering Qassam rockets and mortar shells.

In a separate incident, IDF (Zahal) forces identified a number of armed gunmen and opened fire at them. The force later searched the area and uncovered a large amount of weaponry including anti-aircraft missiles, mortar shells and machine guns.

In addition, IDF (Zahal) forces uncovered a tunnel while searching a house in the northern Gaza Strip, and destroyed it. Additionally, forces identified a terror operative planting an explosive device and opened fire at him.

An IDF (Zahal) soldier was severely wounded and three other soldiers were lightly injured in the course of operations carried out Paratrooper Brigade forces. The casualties were evacuated to hospitals in Israel to receive medical treatment, and their families have been notified.

The IAF attacked over 60 Hamas terrorist sites throughout the Gaza Strip, among them nine groups of armed gunmen, twenty smuggling tunnels along the Rafah border, two mortar shell launchers, nine rocket launching sites, three buildings utilized by terror operatives, two vehicles in which Hamas terror operatives were driving and additional targets hit in order to assist the Ground Forces.

Approximately 20 rockets and mortar shells were launched into Israel on Monday (Jan. 12); two rockets directly hit buildings in Ashkelon and Sderot, causing severe damage.

165 trucks carrying humanitarian aid were transferred to the Gaza Strip via the Kerem Shalom and Karni crossings during the daily three hour long cease-fire period.