Those who perpetrated the abduction of our youths were members of Hamas – the same Hamas that Abu Mazen made a unity government with; this has severe repercussions. We are currently focusing all of our efforts on bringing the abductees back home.
(Communicated by the Cabinet Secretariat)
At the weekly Cabinet meeting today (Sunday, 15 June 2014):
1. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made the following remarks:
"This morning I can say what I was unable to say yesterday before the extensive wave of arrests of Hamas members in Judea and Samaria.
Those who perpetrated the abduction of our youths were members of Hamas – the same Hamas that Abu Mazen made a unity government with; this has severe repercussions.
We are currently focusing all of our efforts on bringing the abductees back home. Before coming here, I spoke again with the families, and I embrace and encourage them from here, from the Cabinet table, and I know that I speak for all parts of the nation."
2. Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon briefed ministers on the chain of events regarding the abduction of Eyal Yifrah, Gilad Sha’er and Naftali Frenkel, which took place late Thursday evening, 12 June 2014, and on the actions being taken by the security establishment to locate the abductees and bring them back home.
3. The Cabinet was briefed on recent developments in Iraq.
4. The Cabinet instructed Finance Minister Yair Lapid to submit to the Knesset Law, Constitution and Justice Committee draft amendments to the 1992 Mandatory Tenders Law regarding preferences for locally-produced textiles.
5. The Cabinet marked National Student Day. Education Minister Shai Piron, Deputy Minister Ofir Akunis, who is responsible for the advancement of women, youth and students, and National Union of Israel Students representatives briefed ministers on the actions, contribution and willingness of Israeli students in advancing socio-economic and public diplomacy issues.
The NUIS representatives expressed the students’ willingness to accept additional tasks – in various fields – for the benefit of Israeli society.