The Food Service in the Ministry of Health, in cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture and the Honey Board have conducted a spot check of honey products, which were inspected at the Standards Institution of Israel. Five of the samples were found not to be compliant with the definition of “Honey” in accordance with the requirements of the Israeli standard (IS 373) and according to the professional opinion of honey experts.
Following are the details of the products, according to the labeling on their packages, that were found, in the test, to be non-compliant with the definition of honey in the Israelu standard (pictures of the products are attached):
- Zerufa 100% pure honey, natural honey, Israeli, wildflower honey, sell-by date: 10/2013, net weight: 350 grams. The product was sampled at “Keter Dried Fruits”, HaAliya 16, Tel Aviv.
- Natural honey, Shachar Hives, Moshav Zerufa, tel. 04-9840134, “A tradition of quality”. The product was sampled at “Keter Dried Fruits”, HaAliya 16, Tel Aviv.
- Bashkir flower honey (product name in Hebrew is missing, the product name is translated from Russian), packaged by: Shachar Ashuri honey farm, tel. 04-9840134, 500 grams. Manufacturer address is missing. The product was sampled at the “Goyan Delicatessen”, 104 HaHalutz Str., Beer Sheba.
- Altai Mountains flower honey (product name in Hebrew is missing, the product name is translated from Russian), “packaged by: Shachar Ashuri honey farm, tel. 04-9840134”, manufacturer address is missing, 500 grams. The product was sampled at the “Goyan Delicatessen”, 104 HaHalutz Str., Beer Sheba.
- Bee Honey, Carmel Good Products from a Good Home Carmel Food Industries, Carmel Industries, 29 Habanai Street, Holon industrial zone, Mobile 052-4432975, weight: 350 grams, best if used before 12/2013”. The product was sampled at the “Shefa E.L. Fruit and Vegetable Marketing”, 21 Max Nordau Str., Beer Sheba. The factory that manufactured this product has recently been found, a warrant of closure was issued against it and the case has been transferred to the attorney’s office for an indictment.
The businesses involved are currently facing all of the punitive measures at our disposal. The Food Service in the Ministry of Health is continuing to find products that are non-compliant with the standard and recommends that the public do their purchasing in licensed retail stores only.