(Communicated by the Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)
December 22, 1998
In the wake of various reports regarding the implementation of the Wye Agreement, the Prime Minister’s Media Advisor, today (Tuesday) 22.12.98, wishes to clarify that Israel will carry out the next (second) stage of the Agreement only when the Palestinian Authority fulfills all of the commitments it signed on to in the Wye Agreement.
The Cabinet set five points — based on the Wye Agreement — that the Palestinians must fulfill:
1. Refrain from a unilateral declaration on a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital.
2. The PA must halt the violence.
3. The PA must halt the incitement to violence.
4. The PA must refrain from demanding (in violation of the Agreement) that Israel release murderers and prisoners with blood on their hands.
5. The PA must collect and remove illegal arms, arrest murderers residing in its areas and cooperate with Israel in combating terrorism.
If the Palestinian Authority fulfills all of these commitments, Israel will carry out its part of the Wye Agreement regardless of the date of elections in Israel.