(Communciated by Israeli security sources)

Islamic Jihad terrorists responsible for the suicide bombing in Tel Aviv on February 25 2005, in which five Israeli civilians were murdered, have been arrested by IDF and ISA forces during the past several days. In their investigation, they admitted that they tried twice to lead suicide bombers into Jerusalem. The explosive devices to be detonated in the attack were then uncovered by the security forces. A third attempt to carry out the suicide bombing attack was supposed to be carried out on Thursday, June 2, 2005.

Hamza A-Rahim Hassin Brijia, born in 1978, resident of the village of Ma’azra, south of Bethlehem, was responsible for the Islamic Jihad infrastructure in Bethlehem. Brijia had been in administrative detention for his terror activity in the Islamic Jihad and was released on February 28, 2005.

Ali-Ahmad Hussar Dar Rashid, born in 1977, resident of Bethlehem, was an operative in the infrastructure led by Hamza Brijia.

Iad Ahmad Hassin Fuajara, born in 1978, resident of Bethlehem, was meant to lead the suicide bombers to Jerusalem.

Mahmad Raddad Mustafa Raddad, born in 1981, resident of the village of Zeida near Tulkarm. Raddad was the liaison between the northern West Bank Islamic Jihad infrastructure and the Bethlehem Islamic Jihad infrastructure.

Mohand Ya’akub Mahmad Abu Rumi, born in 1974, resident of Azaria. Abu Rumi had been imprisoned for purchasing weaponry for the Islamic Jihad infrastructure, and was recently released from prison.

Five Israeli civilians were murdered in a suicide bombing attack carried out on February 25th, 2005, in the Stage nightclub in Tel Aviv. The Islamic Jihad infrastructure from Tulkarm and Jenin was responsible for carrying out the attack. Since then, intelligence information regarding the infrastructure’s attempts and plans to carry out suicide bombing attacks inside Israel has been gathered by the security forces.

Recently, the security forces received intelligence information regarding plans that the Islamic Jihad infrastructure in the Bethlehem area had put together a plan to carry out a terror attack in Jerusalem, under the direction of the Islamic Jihad in Tulkarm and Jenin – an infrastructure led by Lui Sa’adi.

Based on intelligence information, Iad Fuajara was arrested on May 30th, while on his way from Bethlehem to Ramallah, after having participated in a meeting with an Islamic Jihad operative in Ramallah.

In his investigation, Fuajara revealed that several days earlier he was enlisted by Hamza Brijia to transport the infrastructure’s suicide bombers to the neighborhood of Ramot in Jerusalem in order to carry out the suicide bombing attack on a bus, in a synagogue, or at a coffee shop. Iad stated that, following the instructions he received from Hamze, he left for Jerusalem on May 22nd and waited in the neighborhood of Beit Hanina, in northern Jerusalem, for two suicide bombers who were supposed to arrive from the northern West Bank. Since the suicide bombers did not reach Beit Hanina at the scheduled time, I’ad was instructed to wait at the same location on the following day. I’ad returned the next day and waited for the two suicide bombers at the Shu’afat mosque on the evening of May 23rd. The suicide bombers arrived carrying the two explosive bags.

Attempts to get the suicide bombers to Jerusalem:

Iad attempted to lead the suicide bombers to Jerusalem in order for them to carry out the suicide bombing there. When he did not succeed in doing so, he hid the explosive devices in the area of Beit Hanina and the suicide bombers were returned to Tulkarm. On May 25th and May 26th, I’ad met with Mahmad Raddad in Ramallah, received money for his terror activity as well as further instructions for carrying out the terror attack.

Preparation for an additional attempt to carry out the attack:

During a meeting that was held on May 30th in Ramallah between I’ad Fuajara and Mahmad Raddad, who was the contact person between the Tulkarm terror infrastructure and the Islamic Jihad terrorists in the Judea region, Iad was instructed to purchase a vehicle in order to use it to drive the suicide bombers into Jerusalem. Furthermore, Iad was told that the Tulkarm terrorist infrastructure was going to attempt to drive the suicide bombers into Jerusalem once more. Iad was told that he would have to reach Tulkarm on Thursday, June 2nd, with the newly purchased vehicle, pick up the suicide bombers from there and take them into Israel to carry out a terror attack.

As mentioned earlier, as Iad was returning to Bethlehem from the meeting in Ramallah, he was taken for questioning by the security forces, and admitted to the aforementioned actions.

Handing over of the explosive bags:

During the night of May 30th, Iad informed the security forces of the hiding location near Beit Hanina, where the explosive bags had been hidden. Two explosive bags were found there and later detonated in a controlled manner by an Israeli Police sapper.

The police investigation revealed that the terrorists had placed the explosives in cardboard boxes, put them inside the bags, and then added steel nails and shrapnel, in order to further amplify the damage and injury caused by the explosives. In addition, they connected ON-OFF switches to the explosive devices so that they could be operated by the suicide bombers.

The information above reveals a broad terrorist infrastructure operating in Tulkarm, with extensions in Bethlehem and in Ramallah, showing once more that the Islamic Jihad terror organization, and particularly the cell that carried out the suicide bombing at the Stage nightclub in Tel Aviv, continue their efforts to carry out terrorist attacks inside Israel.