(Communicated by the IDF Spokesman)
Due to the high number of alerts of imminent terror attacks and the strengthening of the terror infrastructure in Jenin, IDF and ISA forces had been operating in the city and refugee camp of Jenin since October 28, 2004. Following security assessments conducted in the past several days, IDF forces have left the area of the city of Jenin.
The military presence and IDF activity in the area of Jenin led to a significant decrease in the number of security warnings of terror attacks that were present prior to the launching of the operation. Therefore it was decided to remove the encirclement around Jenin, allowing free movement from Jenin to other areas of the West Bank.
A large amount of weapons, including AK-47 assault rifles, pistols and magazines were uncovered by the IDF during the operation. Furthermore, 25 wanted operatives, some of them possessing large numbers of weapons, were arrested by IDF forces. It should be noted that some of the operatives handed themselves in to the security forces.
The IDF is determined to protect Israeli citizens and IDF forces by operating against any group or individual that carries out terrorist activity or supports it.
(Communicated by Security Sources)
Several of the terrorists arrested during the operation in Jenin:
- Mohamad Yasser Haziz, born in 1983, an Islamic Jihad operative from Jenin who was involved in the planning of a suicide bombing attack on December 2003, to be carried out in a high school in Yoqneam, or in the central bus station in Afula.
- Fadi Tlal Salem Sahdi, born in 1976, an Islamic Jihad operative who was involved in several shooting attacks against Israeli security forces in the area of Jenin.
- Mohamad Salah Mahmoud Hassin, born in 1982, a Tanzim operative who was involved in shooting attacks and in the planning of suicide bombing attacks planned to be carried out inside Israel.
- Haled Sehada Abed El Karim Albasi, born in 1972, a Tanzim operative from the refugee camp of Jenin who was involved in weapon trading.
Four Palestinian gunmen were killed during exchanges of fire with the security forces on November 7, including:
- Mohamad Khaled Ahmed Masharka, a senior Tanzim operative born in 1981, who was involved in many shooting attacks in the area of Jenin against Israeli targets and in the enlisting of operatives to the Tanzim organization. Moreover, he was involved in the planning of suicide attacks for the Tanzim, planned to be carried out by female suicide bombers.
- Fadi Khader Tawfik, an Islamic Jihad operative who was involved in shooting attacks in the area of Jenin, and in weapons trading.