Ballal Hasny Hassan Yassin was apprehended hiding in bed frame.
(Communicated by Israeli security sources)
Ballal Hasny Hassan Yassin, a senior Islamic Jihad terrorist, was arrested overnight in Anin, southwest of Jenin. Yassin was responsible for numerous attempts to carry out suicide bombing and shooting attacks in the past few years. During this period Yassin recruited terror operatives and suicide bombers, and manufactured and collected materials for the purpose of carrying out attacks.
Yassin, a senior Islamic Jihad operative, resident of Anin, became a key operative in the region following the deaths of the leaders of the Islamic Jihad in Jenin. Yassin was arrested in July 2002 after he was known to be involved in planning terrorist attacks and operating for the Islamic Jihad and PFLP. During his investigation, Yassin admitted to recruiting operatives, placing explosive devices, planning shooting attacks, in addition to his willingness to carry out a suicide-bombing attack.
In January 2003 Yassin escaped from the Ofer prison along with another Islamic Jihad operative. The two escaped after finding a tear in the prison’s fence. After escaping, he managed to return to the Jenin area and began establishing his position as a key Islamic Jihad terrorist in the region.
Since January 2003, Ballal was known to have been involved in numerous terrorist attacks and attempts to carry out terrorist attacks, including:
– Planting an explosive device attack against an Israeli truck driver in the area of Anin, along with other Islamic Jihad and Tanzim operatives, including Kutsi Hamadia who was involved in several attempts to carry out suicide bombing attacks in Israel. The attack did not take place.
– Directing an attempt to carry out a suicide bombing attack inside Israel, around Febuary/March 2003, an attack which was thwarted when a number of terrorists involved were arrested, including the suicide bomber.
– Transporting an explosive briefcase around February/March 2003, to be used in a suicide bombing attack. The briefcase was confiscated and detonated.
– Planning a shooting attack against a bus transporting soldiers around February/March 2004, in the Anin area. The attack did not take place.
– Known in May 2003 as the head of a cell responsible for planning of shooting and suicide bombing attacks, including a bomb attack on the Jenin bypass road. The cell planned to carry out a double suicide bombing attack in Israel, an attack which was thwarted when the suicide bombers and their leader were arrested.
– Recruiting two suicide bombers to carry out a suicide bombing attack in May 2003. The two were arrested.
– Recruiting a suicide bomber who was to carry out a car bomb attack inside Israel and was arrested before carrying out the attack by the PA.
– Planning a shooting attack at the community of Shaked in July 2003. The attack did not take place.
– Transferring an explosive device in March 2004 to the Tanzim terrorist network, which planned to carry out a suicide bombing attack inside Israel. The attack was thwarted with the arrest of the suicide bomber.
– Recruiting a female suicide bomber to carry out a suicide bombing attack in March 2004.The attack was thwarted with the arrest of several terrorists involved.
Yassin was linked to the Islamic Jihad headquarters in Syria for purposes of funding and direction. He often used his family members to receive the funds. In addition he was in contact with Islamic Jihad operatives in Gaza for the purpose of collaborating with them.
During 2004 Yassin became a senior Islamic Jihad operative and cooperated with various terrorists, including Zacarye Zubeidy, to whom he also transferred funds for terrorist activity,
Recently Yassin was preparing to carry out a suicide bombing attack inside Israel, in cooperation with terrorists in the Gaza Strip and additional terrorists in the Jenin area.