The information below summarizes the overnight events of January 2nd, 2009, as part of Operation Cast Lead:
The IAF and Israel Naval forces attacked approximately 20 Hamas targets throughout the Gaza Strip during the night (Jan.2). Among the sites targeted by the IDF (Zahal) were the following:
- A mosque in Jabaliya used as a terror hub by Hamas. The mosque was used as a storage site for a large amount of Grad missiles and additional weaponry. The strike set off a lengthy series of secondary explosions and caused a large fire due to the munitions stockpiled in the mosque. The mosque was also used as a Hamas operational center, as a meeting place for its operatives, and as a staging ground for terror attacks.
- Hamas military wing headquarters
- A vehicle transporting anti-aircraft missiles
- A tunnel used to smuggle weaponry and transport terror operatives
- Rocket launchers armed and prepared for use
- Weapons manufacturing and storage facilities
The IDF (Zahal) will continue to target the Hamas infrastructure and the infrastructure of other terrorist organizations in the Gaza Strip. The IDF (Zahal) will not hesitate to strike those involved both directly and indirectly in attacks against the citizens of the State of Israel.