Committee Chairman MK Tzachi Hanegbi: "We found a genuine willingness in Nicosia for cooperation and creating common ground among the three countries and parliaments. This is an excellent starting point."
Trilateral Meeting of Committees in charge of foreign affairs in the Parliaments of Cyprus, Greece and Israel,
Nicosia, 3rd of March 2016
- Reiterate their wish to increase parliamentary cooperation, exchanges and contacts through bilateral visits and regular trilateral meetings;
- Resolve, therefore, to establish regular, annual meetings of the Committees in charge of foreign affairs in the Parliaments of Cyprus, Greece and Israel;
- Agree that matters to be discussed in future meetings include, inter alia, parliamentary cooperation; sharing views on regional issues and matters related to energy; on research and development and technology; cyber security; counter-terrorism; joint emergency response to natural disasters; exchange of information in emergency situations; agriculture; tourism; culture; education and migration.
- Undertake to explore areas of further cooperation.
- Call upon the International Community, the United Nations and the European Union to take all measures necessary to pacify the Eastern Mediterranean region, to stop the population flows into Europe and to help financially, politically and physically the states receiving and those along the refugee route.
- Call upon the States on the refugee route to refrain from unilateral actions that hinder the movement of refugees and increase the intensity and scope of the humanitarian crisis.
- Decide to meet again when the three Heads of State / Government will meet, before or after their meeting in Israel in the second half of 2016.